Monday, April 27, 2015

Glasshouse Mountains

I got up Sunday morning and woke up in one of my favorite places to wake up. Kim's place is so comfortable and feels like a mini resort. I had some brekky with Kim and Charlie :)


After brekky Kim and I hit the road for a little adventure day. We didn't have much plan other than Glasshouse Mountains/ Hinterlands. So off we went! No GPS just a basic idea what direction. Kim is really good at finding her way around.


The Glasshouse mountains were named by Capt. James Cook in 1770. They are a set of 11 mountains in south Queensland. The range formed when lava cooled forming hard rock in the cores of volcanoes. Then they formed into volcanoes. Now what you see is just the left over volcano plugs.


So they used to be all giant volcanoes. Now after time erosion has only left the center/ the plugs of each one. There are no active volcanoes in Australia. It is actually the only continent where that can be said. It weird to think how many volcanoes they used to have though!


 I wish the pictures could capture the beauty... It is so iroonic that we are here together. Kim and I met in a Geology class in the USA. We learned about these things and now we are halfway around the world seeing it first hand! It's crazy how life works!


I love there little stained glass glasshouse mountainscapes all over the outlook area. They are so pretty!


History/ Legend time!

The Glass House Mountains are located in the traditional lands of the Gubbi Gubbi people. In the Aboriginal legend the mountains are members of a family with the father being Mount Tibrogargan and the mother Mount Beerwah. All of the other mountains are sons and daughters with the eldest being Mount Coonowrin.

Tibrogargan, the father, observes that the sea is rising and asks that Coonowrin the eldest son help their pregnant mother to safety. Terrified, Coonowrin instead flees. Infuriated by his son's cowardliness, Tibrogargan pursues him and strikes him with his nulla nulla so hard that he dislocates Coonowrin's neck.

Once the danger passes Coonowrin feels tremendous guilt for his actions and asks his father, brothers and sisters for forgiveness but they all weep with shame. This is said to explain the many small streams that flow through the area. Tibrogargan turns his back on Coonowrin and gazes out to sea refusing to look at his son Coonowrin who continues to hang his head in shame and weeps. 

Let's meet the family!






Oh. Did I mention how crazy the sky is here. It is just unbelievably clear!


I know I talk about the sky a lot int this blog but I swear it is just so amazing! I wish the pictures could capture it! :(


On our trip we realized it was like 1pm so we had some lunch. Blood orange / passion fruit water! Yumm!!! It is so great. We also had some Startburst babies. Eating babies? Kind of weird... They are gummies. They actually pretty good! :) Kim knows all the good little treats.


So kept on our journey through the Hinterlands.



There are random lookouts all over the place! I love all the lookouts. They are all so nice and the wind is amazing! It is a bit cooler up in the Hinterlands because of the wind but I love it!



Then we found a tree house hotel!!! In the rain forest! The tree house hotel is literally all in the trees. You have to use the walkways in the trees to get to your room. It is so cool! I want to stay there!


We also found a dam. There was a pretty little nature walk around it which was cool. Kim was here before and apparently tried to give a 4 foot lizard a chip... and he chased her. Haha She cracks me up.


So we left the dam and went down to another little nature walk.


Haha Kim and her Vera Bradley bag and her snake stick. Apparently it is good to have a long stick so if you see a snake you have something to hit it with and run. I also found that my new ankle bracelet is kind of a snake anklet. It has bells on it so I feel like the jingle is announcing that I am coming. I feel like it will help snakes hear me and run way... I think I am thinking about this too much...


We found Obi Obi creek. I have been there before, but in a different part. Last time I was at Obi Obi creek we were walking and swimming up it! This time Kim and I just hopped around on some rocks :) It was very fun!


Then we heard a waterfall... but we couldn't see a waterfall... so off we went into the woods :)


We crawled through some bush and we found what will forever be known as KimSarah Falls.


I decided KimSarah was appropriate, as she has been in in Australia longer than me. :)


It is soooooo pretty! I want to take my parents here when they come visit!


OH! and I found a really big tree! I love trees. Yo umay have noticed all my tree hugging pictures :) Australia really does have some amazing trees :)



After that adventure we headed back for civilization. We ended up in Coollum. I do love Coollum. It is so calm and pretty. She drove me back to my apartment and dropped me off. I was worried she would hit a lot of traffic heading back to Brissy from the Sunny Coast but I guess it wasn't bad. It was such a fun day! I wish we could do it every day! Dang school! Haha Speaking of school - tomorrow starts my week so gotta do some school work and get some sleep for tomorrow. 

Peace!

Ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_House_Mountains

1 comment:

  1. My favorite post so far! And yes....the sky is AMAZING here! It's so big, blue and pretty! I say it all the time too.

    ReplyDelete