Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Classes week 3

Ok... note to self: After a big weekend of climbing and camping and schoolwork jammed in too... you NEED coffee! This morning felt like it was dragging pretty bad. Monday is my biggest class day. 8-10 and 10-11 then 1-2 and 2-4. Rawr. There are some oddities that I keep noticing in my classes. For one, the professors really prefer you to have your tech devices out during class. I think it is great to really inspire students to implement technology. Honestly we will need tech skills in the work place... why not use them in the classroom?! I have learned to love my Surface pro 3. I can have the PowerPoint for the day open and my notes at the same time so I can copy paste anything directly from the PowerPoints into my notes! How cool! Also we use GoSoapBox in class. GoSoapBox is a site where the professor asks questions and everyone can chime in online. We can all be involved at once. It is pretty great. Another oddity is the lack of professional hierarchy. For instance when you speak to a professor in the US you address them as Doctor or Professor. Here, it throws me every time when people use our professors first name. Jane. Robert. ect. It is pretty strange honestly. Maybe growing up in the south with 'Yes Ma'am' and 'Yes Sir' has made it harder for me to accept this.  Honestly I just don't think I can call my professor Jane... that is just too weird.

Overall though I do love my classes. I like the professors and I am making some friends. :)

Monday night Katja and I went to Lisa's for dinner. Which is alwasy good becase she is a much better cook than we are! She is thrilled to cook for us... haha


Tuesday was St. Patricks Day! Everyone was drinking all day. Not me though! I had a presentation at 6pm. It was a fun day though. :) I went to the gym. It is so great to be back in the swing of things. We also made our weekly family store run. I have said it so many times, I know, but I am really lucky with my flatmates (roommates). We are a little family :) Jaksen, me, Katja, Raphael, and of course the teddy bear... his name is Roosevelt... and of course he is buckled in too! Safety first! ;)


Also Jaksen hung my picture and now our flat is so home-y! I love it! I had this painting in my room that Kim gave me. It was hanging over my bed. The problem was it kept falling. It never fell on me luckily, but I felt like it was just a matter of time. So now it is our household decor!



My presentation Tuesday night went really well! I went 1st. I was supposed to go 3rd, but I guess she accidentally switched it. No worries though. I feel really good about it. My in-class feedback was really good. Heck, she said I could just take over the class for the next 12 weeks haha. I told her no thank you! Anyway, I am happy with it. Hopefully my grade will reflect all this positivity! On another note, my group for the group project in that class seems really great! They are all really funny and I am looking forward to working with them.

I opened my second Nicole-o-gram ;) Thanks for the hug girl!!


Also I had a minor shoe blow out... both shoes have decided to throw in the towel at one time!! What the heck!



Anyway... Wednesday morning came too early! I struggled a bit to wake up. Ugh. For some reason it took me forever to fall asleep last night! Which very rarely happens. My class went really well and now Katja adn I are off on another adventure to Maroochydore and the beach :) Should be a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment